Appetizers
Ceviche de Camarones (Really, it was a shrimp cocktail that was almost exactly like the kind Juan and I make with his family except there were plantain chips adorning the top, and an avocado puree at the base.)
Chilango Chop (A light salad of watercress, baby arugula, green apples, cranberries, spicy candied pecans, and honey-lime yogurt dressing.)
Traditional Guacamole & Chipotle Salsa (Juan and I have only liked chipotle salsa at two places: Distrito, and another tapas restaurant in Washington, D.C.)
Main Course
Taco de Hamachi (A light taco with yellowtail fish, a chipotle remoulade, avocado, and pickled red cabbage.)
Huarache de Ongos (Recipe below tells all.)
Carne Asada (Strip steak with adobo, fried tomatillo, with sides of Creamy Poblano Corn Rice, and traditional rice and beans.)
Dessert
Pumpkin flan (This was a little bit larger than the size of a silver dollar, but all 2 bites were creamy bliss. Juan was quite the sleuth and found a recipe almost exactly like it. Delicious!)
I was really excited to try the huarache when we went because I have wanted to try huitlacoche ever since I learned about it in my Science of Plant and Pest Control class at BYU six years ago. What is it? Simply: corn smut. It's a type of fungus that is really considered quite a delicacy. For the record, it's delicious. It's been a while since I've posted a recipe. So here's my deconstruction of Chef Garces' Huarache de Ongo, thanks to a waiter who was patient enough to tell us all the details.
Huarache de Ongo
- plain flat bread- slightly toasted
- 1 can huitlacoche (cooked on stovetop until blackened, then pulsed in blender with 1 Tbsp. olive oil until smooth)
- Black Truffle Oil, for drizzling
- Shredded Oaxaca, Monterey Jack, and Manchego cheeses (may also substitute other mild melting cheese)
- assorted fresh or canned mushrooms (Garces' restaurant uses canned chanterelle and black truffles)
- fresh corn
- crema, for drizzling
- corn shoots (so amazing!)

No comments:
Post a Comment